Water Began Flowing In Rio Grande
March 17, 2020
Water began flowing in El Paso area canals and the Rio Grande this morning when water from Elephant Butte Reservoir was released on Friday March 13. We encourage the community to follow these water safety tips:
● Do not allow children to play near or in a river or another body of water, including ponds, channels, and drains. A sudden increase in the water levels and pressure can drag a person into the water.
● Do not try cross or swim in canals or ponding areas. The pressure of moving water is constant and can be powerful even if it looks slow moving and calm. Hidden hazards could be present under the water as well.
● If you fall into fast-moving water, do not try to stand up. The force of the water will push you over and hold you under. Lay on your back with your feet pointing downstream and toes pointing up toward the surface. Always look downstream and be prepared to fend off any obstacles with your feet.
● Knowing how to swim does not make you drown proof.
● If you see someone in need of help, dial 9-1-1 immediately.